Quarantine and Isolation
Quarantine is done to stop the spread of diseases that are easily transmitted from one person to another. Quarantines are for people or groups who don’t have symptoms but were exposed to the sickness. Quarantine keeps them away from others so they don’t unknowingly infect anyone.
In line with the Public Health Act, the Cabinet Secretary in the Ministry of Health has instituted Mandatory Quarantine (either self or otherwise) measures for all incoming international passengers who may have come into conduct with persons who may have COVID 19.
Information you need to know when you are in quarantine
Quarantine for COVID-19 is recommended for individuals who have been directly exposed to the virus or who have travelled to areas where there are large numbers of people infected in order to prevent further transmission.
- Stay home except to get medical care.
- As much as possible, you should stay in a specific room and away from other people (even when quarantined at home). Do not go to public areas.
- Use a separate bathroom, if available. Clean bathroom using soap and water and disinfect with bleach solution provided by the quarantine premises.
- If you develop symptoms, put on Facemasks to help prevent the spread of the disease to others.
- Cough or sneeze into the fold of your elbow. Alternatively, cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains over 70% alcohol, covering all surfaces of your hands and rubbing them together until they feel dry. Soap and water should be used preferentially if hands are visibly dirty.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Clean all “high-touch” surfaces every day.
- It is recommended that people sick with COVID-19 limit contact with animals until more information is known about the virus. When possible, have another member of your household care for your animals.
What to do when you feel sick
- Monitor development of symptoms: Fever, cough, shortness of breath.
- Seek prompt medical attention if you become ill. Call the health care worker at the quarantine site or 719 for care.
Source: Ministry of Health